OpenKM can be installed on several Operating Systems and can be configured to use different databases. Because it's implemented in Java, the only software requirement is having a Java Virtual Machine compiled for your platform. But OpenKM also depends on third-party applications to be fully configured. For example, it needs a working OpenOffice or LibreOffice installation to be able of preview documents. Or you may want to extract text from your scanned images, and for this an OCR engine is needed.
Before installing you need to prepare the server. Depending on the Operating System you should follow some tips. When you install the Operating System, keep on mind that OpenKM does not need a graphical user desktop. So, in Linux systems, you can avoid installing these packages and save some memory. Another important advice is to do a minimal Operating System installation. We only need the minimum to access the server. In case of Linux server, we prefer to access by SSH because is fast and secure. Please, don't install Java or Tomcat or any other software unless you have already asked us.
This is a checklist of information we should know before installing:
- How many document do you want to store?
- How many user will access OpenKM?
- How many concurrent users?
- How much memory does the server have?
- How many CPUs does the server have?
- How much free disk is avaible in the server?
- Which Operating System is installed?
- Is the installed Operating System the 64 bits version?
In case of Linux server there are some aditional questions:
- Which distro (name and version)?
- Does the server have a GUI (X-Windows) installed?
- It is a clean and minimal installation (only SSH) or have you installed another software?
- Is this server used for other applications?
- Is the database already installed?
In this section you will learn how to install OpenKM in your server and how to match most common third-party applications requirements.
OpenKM has been successfully installed on:
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2003 R2